Asian Tomboys

Definition of a tomboy per dictionary.com: n. a girl who acts or dresses in a boyish way, liking rough outdoor activities.

Why do I put that up there? It's because of the topic I'm about to discuss today. It's been a while I went on a rant and just a rant. Just today I will show you my knowledge I have of tomboys specifically asian tomboys.

Let me start why I'm going to address this, lately I've seen a lot of igers (for those of you don't know, people who don't use instagram that's what instgaram users are called.) who are taking a lot of photos of themselves and branding themselves tomboys and some of them extending it to asian tomboy. As you all can see from the definition above that is what the dictionary defines a tomboy. I wonder if this is somehow a fashion trend now? I will explain in a few moments.

First let's differentiate between tomboys. A lot of people can define tomboys into about three categories. There's ones that are into a lot of boys stuff and act like a guy but still looks girly. Then there's a tomboy that looks like a guy and still likes girls things. And finally there's the tomboy that is a combinations of both.

Asian tomboys...something of a unique thing in itself. As with everything Asians take in, they elevate it to a new level. When they look like boys they will look like boys. I find most of them say they only date women. I don't know if this is a fashion trend now? Or a teenage social trend? But I've seen them pop up a lot lately. I may be stereotyping them just a little so bare with me a little. Usually they wear men's clothes (very stylish by the way about as stylish as males themselves.), have short hair and wear binders. Key thing binders...that's something different than the average tomboy. So why all this? How did we go from girl who does boyish things to looking like a boy? I think it's more of the fact of looking like a boy and actually passing as one.

It's interesting to see these asian tomboys, most are from china and taiwan. (A few famous ones are in Taiwan, Nike comes to mind.) Now I'm not sure if they are taking after the toms from thailand or not but it seems to be more prevalent around the web. Making girls go lesbian for them sometimes to the point acting all fangirl over them.

From a personal standpoint...I lie somewhere in between in it all. Sometimes I do bind my breasts other times I don't for health reasons and I still wear makeup. My face is still a little chubby so I don't think I pass as complete male (although there were a lot of times that people have mistaken me for a boy.) at least not an typical asian male (skinny, angled face and narrowed eyes.) These girls I do hope that they're doing this because they know this is how they want to be because I have never seen so much publicity towards asian tomboys before. 

In Taiwan there are several brands such as Mr. Rich that caters to these asian tomboys. So a fashion line...what next? Here again I will say Asians will take things to a whole new level. For those of you that see this asian tomboy style what do you think? Fashion trend or actual self-perception? Personally...well for those of you that know me I switch back and forth. This does not mean I'm not a tomboy matter of fact it shouldn't define who I am. I have short hair wear boy's clothes majority of the time just that's me. And I think the bottom line is that all these girls are being themselves.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

About

How should I describe myself? Should I go into a long rant about me and what I like? Or is a list easier for your eyes? I think a small paragraph should do.

Music is my passion with modern Asian music, such as k-pop, j-pop and j-rock etc., writing is my joy and photography is my growing love. Food is the best way to socialize and fashion is my way to know that I put my shirt on correctly.